[U-Boot] [IMPORTANT NOTE] License handling

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 25 21:20:58 CEST 2013

Hello all,

this is to raise your attention to some small but important change in
the way we're dealing with software licenses in U-Boot.

Don't be afraid - the licensing itself does not change at all, we just
change the way how we express the license terms in the source code.

Please see commit

eca3aeb   2013-07-24 09:44:16 -0400   Licenses: introduce SPDX Unique
                                      Lincense Identifiers

What does that mean:

- New files being added to U-Boot should no longer include a
  multi-line license header; instead, they shall contain a single line
  Unique Lincense Identifier, i. e. a line like this:

  	SPDX-License-Identifier:        GPL-2.0+

  For details, please see   http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Licensing

- Any help in cleaning up the remaining files (replacing existing
  license headers by Unique Lincense Identifiers) is welcome - but
  note that this is a task that needs to be done carefully - fully
  automatic editing is not really an option, as for example some files
  were found that included not one, but two (and incompatible!)
  license headers, so it really needs careful consideration how to
  resolve such issues.

To all custodians:  please have a special look at any new code being
added, and help guiding users to this new policy of using Unique
Lincense Identifiers.

Thanks for all your help!

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Let the programmers be many and the managers few -- then all will  be
productive.               -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"