[U-Boot] Extract data file from U-Boot image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 26 07:24:18 CEST 2013

Dear Guilherme Maciel Ferreira,

In message <CAF=5bWcMhBhvvWP1933Xyi9Cpv_t3Y306ceWr6pH+TqwoYpi=g at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > But I fear that mkimage explodes from creaping featurism, so if you
> > go and implement something like this, please do not add it to kmimage,
> > but rather create a separate, new tool, say "dumpimage" or so.
>
> How does 'unimage' sound to you? =) Following the example of
> unsquashfs and unubi?

I dislike such names; they appear not natural to me. "Make an image"
=> mkimage or "dump the image content" => dumpimage kind of describe
what the command does in a natural language. But "unimage" is a word
that I cannot put anywhere.

> I mean, if people really consider this tool of some use.

The simple rule is: if something is useful for someone, and does not
hurt others, it can get added.  Just make sure it's a separate make
target so it does not get built automatically for each and every
build, but only when you ask for it.

> However, now we want a selective upgrade, where we can pick a few
> directories from within the new root file system without the need to
> write the whole new file system and kernel.

Hm... Repacking images on the target appears not really an efficient
approach to me.  Also I wonder how this works - are you talking about
ramdisk based root file system images?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?