[U-Boot] C99 and dynamic arrays

Måns Rullgård mans at mansr.com
Wed Mar 13 20:55:37 CET 2013

Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> writes:

> [once more from correct address, sorry]
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Måns Rullgård <mans at mansr.com> wrote:
>> Simon Glass <sjg at google.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Mans,

>>> I suppose we could check the available stack space. However I don't
>>> really see a clear stack bottom in U-Boot - I think it is set up to
>>> grow downwards as much as needed. I can certainly add sanity checks on
>>> the input values.
>>
>> There is no way to check stack usage from C.
>
> Well there is an architecture-specific way. A function can generally
> find its own stack pointer by taking the address of a local variable,
> so it is possible to write a function to check for stack overflow.

Performing such checks without getting into undefined behaviours is
tricky if not impossible, and modern compilers are quite effective at
exploiting these, rendering such checks useless.  Remember the deleted
null checks in the kernel a while back?

> We could add this in U-Boot if it is a general problem. For my
> purposes the amount of stack I intend to allocate is fairly small
> (1-2KB perhaps).

I'm sure what you _intend_ to allocate is safe, but what's to guarantee
that the values are sane?

>>> Yes although this does waste BSS.
>>
>> Sorry, I meant a statically sized stack allocation.
>
> OK, then I suppose this is not much different from dynamic arrays?

It gives more efficient code, if nothing else.

--
Måns Rullgård
mans at mansr.com