[U-Boot] freescale i.MX28 mxsboot NAND booting on mx28evk bad blocks

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Mar 19 01:50:07 CET 2013

I'm prototyping a project that's going to need to boot linux from NAND
on a mx28evk board.

I was able to successfully use the u-boot mxsboot utility to generate a
nand image and burn it, then boot from it. I noticed one anomaly though,
when using mxsboot/u-boot to generate and burn the bootstream to NAND,
when the linux kernel boots it finds bad blocks:

[    1.090000] NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Micron
MT29F14
[    1.100000] Scanning device for bad blocks
[    1.110000] Bad eraseblock 0 at 0x000000000000
[    1.110000] Bad eraseblock 1 at 0x000000020000
[    1.120000] Bad eraseblock 2 at 0x000000040000
[    1.120000] Bad eraseblock 3 at 0x000000060000

When I burn the exact same bootstream with kobs-ng, linux does not find
any bad blocks, so it seems to be a byproduct of either the image
generated by mxsboot or the u-boot burning.

I don't think this is having any functional impact, as the scrub
component of burning a new nand image wipes out the bad blocks, and once
linux is booted it really has no need to read the bootstream from the
bootloader mtd partition.

However, it seems anomalous, and I was wondering if other people are
have seen it, and whether or not it is something that might be fixed.

Thanks much…