[U-Boot] Beagleboard: SPL hangs on serial init

Javier Martinez Canillas javier at dowhile0.org
Wed Mar 20 01:05:17 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 02:13:54PM +0100, Manfred Huber wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised that no one is interested in a functioning
>> Beagleboard. Has no one tested the Beagleboard since 2012-09-19?
>
> I don't see this problem on mine (classic and xM), which is probably
> part of the why.  I'm inclined to accept the patch, but can you try two
> things please:
> - How reproducible is this problem, with the host and beagleboard
>   combination you have?  100%?
> - Do you have another beagleboard or another host PC (or USB-Serial
>   dongle) you can try?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Tom

Hi,

I had this issue on another TI OMAP3 based board (IGEPv2) which use an
DM3730 processor. Other IGEP board users reported that U-Boot hung on
their boards and that a patch to not wait for the Transmitter Empty
(TEMT) to initialize the serial console fixed the issue. So I added
the CONFIG_SYS_NS16550_BROKEN_TEMT config option and used it for IGEP
boards (igep00x0) to make them boot again.

Back then I also tested on a Beagleboard Rev. C4 since it has the same
ns16550 UART controller than the IGEPv2 as far as I understood. I used
the exact U-Boot version, USB-Serial cable, host PC and terminal
emulation program that I used for the IGEPv2 and the Beagleboard
booted correctly. This is the same behavior that Tom had on his
Beagleboard.

Since it worked on the Beagle I thought the issue was only present on
IGEP boards but now Manfred says that he has the same issue on his
Beagleboard. I now wonder if all IGEPv2 are broken or only my board
and the ones of the users that cared to report this and other IGEPv2
can boot without CONFIG_SYS_NS16550_BROKEN_TEMT.

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Javier