[U-Boot] freescale i.MX28 mxsboot NAND booting on mx28evk bad blocks

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Mar 20 22:20:07 CET 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 06:23:27PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:

> > I don't think this is having any functional impact, as the scrub
> > component of burning a new nand image wipes out the bad blocks,
>
> You should not be routinely scrubbing NAND!
>
> The manufacturers put bad block information there for a reason.

Hmm, I was following the instructions in doc/README.mx28_common, which
says to use "run update_nand_full" to burn the NAND image, and one
component of that per include/configs/mx28evk.h is:

	nand scrub -y 0x0 ${filesize}

Are the instructions/env script incorrect?

I don't believe the bad blocks that linux finds are actual bad blocks,
and definitely not factory bad blocks. They seem to show up as a
byproduct of the way u-boot is burning the NAND image. They are always
at the same addresses (I tried two different NAND chips), and only
appear when u-boot is used to burn the bootstream, but not when kobs-ng
is used.

Thanks...