[U-Boot] [RFC] command/cache: Add flush_cache command

Michael Cashwell mboards at prograde.net
Thu Mar 21 00:33:41 CET 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 6:35 PM, Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com> wrote:

> Really, instead of adding one command, you want to modify *two* commands to do the same thing separately, which involves changing the syntax of both commands to accept memory range information?

What is the purpose of limiting the memory range to be flushed? Is there a reason one might want to NOT flush certain data sitting in a dirty cache line out to memory before doing a go or boot command?

If you drive the operation as a "walk the cache" process rather than a "iterate over all SDRAM physical address space to cherry pick within a range" it wouldn't seem that slow. I mean, there's only so much cache memory.

Maybe I'm not well versed enough on the various architectures to understand how a cache walk is really done. So while the question really falls to someone who does know, I wanted to make sure it was at least asked.

-Mike