[U-Boot] Handling images(.jpg, .bmp etc) in u-boot

bhargavak anur.bhargav at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 08:48:35 CET 2013

Hi

I have currently implemented u-boot splash screen, a battery charging
animation(as a series images) in u-boot on my board, all of the above by
creating a GIMP header (.h) for each of the image.

The problem I'm facing is, the size of the u-boot binary is ever increasing,
as the headers for each image is very large even though all of them take up
only 1/4 of the screen size(WVGA).

Now, I'm supposed to implement a full screen size splash screen and add a
few more images to accommodate extra levels of battery charging.

With this added my u-boot.bin goes upto 4-5MB (and that is bad right ??)

I just came to know that there is a method where we can create a partition
and put images(.bmp) into the EMMC flash.
I saw the u-boot's manual where there is a description about a environment
variable 'splashimage'.

My concern here is, can someone please elaborate the procedure mentioned
there.
I do not have a network connection to my board, I just have a microUSB cable
connection my PC and the board.

If there are any other methods to implement the whole thing better,
suggestions a welcome.