[U-Boot] Displaying characters on the display in u-boot

Anatolij Gustschin agust at denx.de
Wed Mar 27 12:39:25 CET 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:57:38 +0530
Bhargav A K <bhargav.ak at sasken.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have been able to display a splash screen in u-boot by converting
> the splash image to a header (using GIMP) and loading it into a GFX
> register (OMAP 4470).

There is no need to embed the image data in the U-Boot binary. You can
also use the "bmp" command or "splashimage" environment variable.

> Now I have to display text(character) on the display. I read about
> CONFIG_CFB_CONSOLE in the u-boot documentation.
> How exactly does it work, is it the right method to display characters
> on the screen ?

First, when defining CONFIG_CFB_CONSOLE in the config file you
additionally have to provide video_hw_init() function which returns an
initialised GraphicDevice structure for your device. Also set "stdout"
and "stderr" environment variables to "vga" and use printf() to display
characters. You can use available drivers, i.e. drivers/video/omap3_dss.c,
as reference.

> SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER: This message may contain...

please avoid such disclaimers when posting to a public mainling list.

Thanks,

Anatolij