[U-Boot] [RFC/PATCH 0/4] BCH8 support for OMAP3

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 28 11:49:54 CET 2013

On 11/23/2012 04:14 PM, Andreas Bießmann wrote:
> This RFC series implements BCH8 for OMAP3 as provided by linux kernel in commit
> 0e618ef0a6a33cf7ef96c2c824402088dd8ef48c.
> This series is heavily influenced by Ilyas series 'NAND support for AM33XX'
> thus could share some code.

Any comments on that series? I would appreciate to get the BCH8 support
in for at least the tricorder board.

> I have managed to load kernel from an ubifs written by the kernel driver, but is
> far away from tested thoroughly.

We used that patchset for a while in-house and could not find obvious
issues. However we need to hack the SPL a bit to get the bigger
footprint into SRAM with 2013.01.
I would really appreciate if some other omap users could test it.
One thing is that most current NAND (even SLC) devices require at least
4Bit ecc for most sections.

> Cause my NAND device 'NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c, Chip ID: 0xbc (Micron
> NAND 512MiB 1,8V 16-bit)' does support 1bit ECC for first sector if erase is
> less than 1000, the rest requires 4bit ECC. Therefore the SPL needs to support
> BCH, the impact is about 9k for the SPL.

So my question here is if this series would be accepted for the upcoming
release. I could work on it next week full time, so if I get a go for
this release I would do so.

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann