[U-Boot] Driver Model and DTS Parsing

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Aug 1 00:54:46 CEST 2014

On 07/31/2014 03:58 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> On 31 July 2014 10:56, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
>> Firstly we need to establish that GPIOs have names and that these should be
>> supported in U-Boot. Without agreement on this point we might not get much
>> further.
>
> Can I please press you on this point, as it is important to establish
> this first.

Oh, you were talking about agreeing with me? I thought this was more of
a general comment, since you'd indicated earlier that amending the gpio
to handle names was outside the scope of this patchset, and GPIO names
are basically only relevant if the user-interface exposes/handles the names.

Well sure, GPIOs obviously have various sets of (controller-relative)
names and IDs.

There certainly aren't any "global" or "absolute" names though, unless
you include the controller name/ID (or something derived from it) as
part of the GPIO's name/ID (either numerically via controller base IDs
or textually by e.g. prefixing GPIO names with the controller name).

It would be good for any user-visible command/script to be able to
handle either numeric IDs (either in an absolute space or preferably
relative to a specified controller) or names.