[U-Boot] Python subprocess module missing in multiconfig.py

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Thu Aug 7 21:43:12 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 09:37:22PM +0200, Jeroen Hofstee wrote:
> Hello Tom,
>
> On 07-08-14 21:08, Tom Rini wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:11:41PM -0400, david at plentovichdesign.com wrote:
> >
> >>Hello.  I read the posts a couple days ago about the Python issues with
> >>Kconfig feature.  I didn't see a resolution on how this would be fixed.  I
> >>am running Ubuntu 14.04LTS, building u-boot and the problem I have is that
> >>the eldk tools have a older python (2.7.3) which does not have the
> >>subprocess module but the current Ubuntu python (2.7.6) does include the
> >>subprocess module.  When I add the eldk (cross compiler) path before my
> >>env $PATH the defconfig fails in multiconfig.py (uses the python in the
> >>eldk toolkit).  Can I just remove python from the eldk tools (so the newer
> >>python will be used) or is that older python version required for some
> >>other script in the cross compiler?
> >>
> >>pdavid at david-TECRA-A8:~$ python
> >>Python 2.7.6 (default, Mar 22 2014, 22:59:38)
> >>[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2
> >>Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
> >>>>>
> >>[1]+  Stopped                 python
> >>david at david-TECRA-A8:~$ export
> >>PATH=/opt/eldk-5.5/armv5te/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/bin:/opt/eldk-5.5/armv5te/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/bin/armv5te-linux-gnueabi:/opt/eldk-5.5/armv5te/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/sbin:/opt/eldk-5.5/armv5te/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/sbin/armv5te-linux-gnueabi:$PATH
> >You only need
> >/opt/eldk-5.5/armv5te/sysroots/i686-eldk-linux/usr/bin/armv5te-linux-gnueabi
> >to be added to your PATH to compile U-Boot (or the kernel).  I don't
> >know why OpenEmbedded-based SDKs default to such a stripped down Python2
> >installation.
>
> Because it is unneeded bloat? Adding a DEPENDS to the U-boot recipe
> for python-subprocess and python-xyz and rebuilding the sdk should fix this
> I guess.

Putting on my OE-guy hat, if we're shipping a host python for some good
reason, it should be as useful as a stock python install on
desktop-or-server-distro-du-jour.  I did some quick poking when I first
hit this and it seems the OE one ships with almost nothing for external
modules which made me question why it's even shipped.

--
Tom