[U-Boot] Removing the need for boards.cfg

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Fri Aug 8 15:04:48 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 12:48:44PM +0100, Simon Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At present, as a work-around, we generate boards.cfg if needed. This
> is quite a slow process since each board config must be fully
> processed.
>
> What can we do to improve this? We only need a small number of options
> in order to start buildman - things like CONFIG_SYS_ARCH,
> CONFIG_SYS_CPU, etc.
>
> I wonder if we could run a script which adds these to the defconfigs
> for each board and then apply a patch to mainline? Would that require
> removing the options from the config.h files? Or could we do that
> later as a separate step?

I wonder (and I haven't had my coffee nor dug into this much more yet)
about using say https://github.com/ulfalizer/Kconfiglib to have buildman
parse all configs/ and then use that information to build what's been
asked (depending on how long the reading+parsing takes).  If it's
relatively quick, that would be a big argument in favour of dropping
MAKEALL.

--
Tom