[U-Boot] mini summit talk proposal: "Getting SoC vendors to work with upstream u-boot"

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 21:24:34 CEST 2014

Hi All,

I would to give a talk (more an intro to a group wide discussion) on
how to get (more) manufacturers engaged in upstreaming their work /
working directly with upstream from day one.

My own experience in this lies with the Allwinner sunxi support,
where Allwinner themselves are shipping a quite old u-boot, which
is not even fully functional as it gets chainloaded by a custom
loader which sets up RAM first. Thanks to the work of various
people in the community we've a fully functional u-boot (replacing
the custom loader) for sun4i, sun5i and sun7i. But we are still
e.g. waiting for someone to get sun6i support in place.

This is not good, so I would like to give a talk with some
proposals to (try to) get more manufacturers working with upstream,
and then have a discussion on this.

Biography:
Hans has been a Linux developer since 1996, working on a wide variety
of projects, lots of Fedora packaging work, writing various hwmon kernel drivers,
(re)writing many webcam drivers, writing libv4l, various usb kernel work, libusb
maintainership, Allwinner sunxi kernel and u-boot work.

Since 2008 Hans works for Red Hat, besides continuing all the FOSS work he did before,
at Red Hat he has worked on anaconda the Fedora / Red Hat installer, parted (the partition tool),
Spice and usb-redirection under qemu, and currently he works on the input stack for
wayland and new touchpad support for the kernel.

Regards,

Hans