[U-Boot] Build broken for bf538f-ezkit board - not enough ram

Vasili Galka vvv444 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 11:52:55 CEST 2014

Hi Simon,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 7:20 AM, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12 August 2014 10:12, Vasili Galka <vvv444 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Vasili Galka <vvv444 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Some of the recent commits on u-boot/master have broken the build of
> >> bf538f-ezkit board. The build was fine for v2014.07-rc3. However, now
> >> there is the following error:
> >>
> >> bfin-elf-ld.bfd: u-boot section `.bss' will not fit in region `ram'
> >> bfin-elf-ld.bfd: region `ram' overflowed by 40 bytes
> >>
> >> I did not pin-point exactly what has increased the image size, and if
> >> the growth is in the .text or .bss section.
> >>
> >> Maybe some of the features shall be dropped from the board config to
> >> decrease the size.
> >>
> >> Also, may be related:
> >> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2014-April/177928.html
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Vasili
> >>

> > This is still broken and now the bf533-stamp board seems to have the same
> > error.
> > Best,
> > Vasili
> >

> Can you fix it?
>
> Regards,
> Simon

The only way I see to fix it is dropping some features from there boards
to reduce the image size. As I'm not a user of these boards, I don't know
what can be dropped. However, I can suggest sacrificing performance
instead of features. Proposed patch:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/379886/

Best regards,
Vasili