[U-Boot] Recommended AVR32 toolchain

Andreas Bießmann andreas.devel at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:38:07 CEST 2014

Hi Vasili,

On 20.08.14 18:10, Vasili Galka wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I'm trying to verify the correct build of all AVR32 boards. What is
> the recommended toolchain to use?

it depends, at least you should use a avr32-linux toolchain. The
avr32-elf one builds u-boot fine but has some runtime flaws. For compile
testing this would be Ok.

> I tried the one that comes with Ubuntu:
>
> sudo apt-get install gcc-avr binutils-avr gdb-avr avr-libc avrdude

Ouch, that is wrong. You got the avr 8-bit variant. There is no mainline
avr32 gcc support!
The patches come from atmel [1] and are for an outdated gcc version
unfortunately.
You cold use the pre-compiled avr32 toolchain provided by kernel.org
[2]. I personally have never run this toolchain but others said it works.

Best regards

Andreas Bießmann

[1] http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/opensource/
[2] https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/