[U-Boot] u-boot and AT91RM9200-EK based board

CJP Barlis ece4afe at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 18:00:28 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have this issue on my board which is a based from at91rm9200-ek board.
I was able to boot the board from flash and also from using the 2009 version of uboot.
On the other hand using newer version the 2013.07, i was unable to boot the board from flash but able to boot it from ram..

On both scenario, i just work on u-boot only and no kernel image yet. I am booting from flash during power on as my BMS = 0;
no serial dataflash used.

Looking these two versions of u-boot, they have different folder structure so i suspect the two differ significantly in folder and file structure.
Looking also the asm files, start.S and low_level_init.S the two versions have minor differences..

One difference is the use of TEXT_BASE and CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE; I am a bit confused with the use of these two.

In the 2013.07 Version, here is what I did..

#ifdef CONFIG_RAMBOOT
#define CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT
#define CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE 0x20100000
#else
#define CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE 0x10000000
#endif

What is the use of CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE?

Scenarios on 2013.07 version

1) I tried to boot from RAM and i was successful; defining CONFIG_RAMBOOT; using the executable file u-boot, via gdb; lowlevel init is done outside u-boot
2) However, copying the u-boot.bin to flash and not defining CONFIG_RAMBOOT, I FAILED to boot from flash...

0x10000000 is the address of the flash memory for NCS0 which is if you want to boot here

I can send the affected files later on...

Thanks!

Chris