[U-Boot] ti, am3517: errata 430973 workaround

Jeroen Hofstee jeroen at myspectrum.nl
Mon Dec 8 23:19:10 CET 2014

Hi,

A while ago [1], a RFC was posted to disable workaround for
besides others, errata 430973. It is a bit unclear to me which
revision actually need this workaround, but as suggested in
[2] also enabling this workaround in Linux seem to make some
weird problems go away in linux (signal 4, bad instruction,
11 segfaults etc).

As said, I am a bit in doubt why this works. The board in question
is a tam3517 derived one:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor    : ARMv7 Processor rev 7 (v7l)
BogoMIPS    : 397.57
Features    : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer    : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant    : 0x1
CPU part    : 0xc08
CPU revision    : 7

Which makes this a r1p7 I assume, and hence the workaround
of linux, CONFIG_ARM_ERRATA_430973, "This option enables the
workaround for the 430973 Cortex-A8 (r1p0..r1p2) erratum",
should not be needed it seems.

On the other hand Andreas Bießman, wrote at [3]
"I have rev 20.0 from 13-Apr-10. The three mentioned errata
should be fixed in r2p1." note, this mentions r2p1 not r1p2!

Since I don't have access to "ARM Core Cortex-A8 (AT400/AT401)
errata", I cannot look this up. Hence the question, is u-boot
wrong by enabling this workaround for a r1p7 revision or is the
comment in the kernel flawed? (or am I missing something else..)

If someone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jeroen

[1] http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-July/158377.html
[2] http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-July/158404.html