[U-Boot] Build problem with crownbay

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 03:59:00 CET 2014

Hi Simon,

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi Bin,
>
> On 14 December 2014 at 08:09, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Bin,
>>>
>>> I see the following problem when trying to build crownbay:
>>>
>>> ./tools/buildman/buildman crownbay -se
>>> boards.cfg is up to date. Nothing to do.
>>> Summary of current source for 1 boards (1 thread, 32 jobs per thread)
>>>        x86: +   crownbay
>>> +{standard input}: Assembler messages:
>>> +{standard input}:136: Error: can't open M0220661105.inc for reading:
>>> No such file or directory
>>> +make[3]: *** [arch/x86/cpu/queensbay/tnc_car.o] Error 1
>>> +make[2]: *** [arch/x86/cpu/queensbay] Error 2
>>> +make[1]: *** [arch/x86/cpu] Error 2
>>> +make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
>>>
>>> Can you please take a look?
>>>
>>> I have pushed the test code to u-boot-x86/testing.
>>
>> I am not familiar with the buildman. I switched to the
>> u-boot-x86/testing branch and did the same command as you:
>>
>> $ ./tools/buildman/buildman crownbay -se
>> WARNING: no status info for 'beagle_x15'
>> WARNING: no maintainers for 'beagle_x15'
>> WARNING: no status info for 'stv0991'
>> WARNING: no maintainers for 'stv0991'
>> WARNING: no status info for 'socfpga_socrates'
>> WARNING: no maintainers for 'socfpga_socrates'
>> Summary of current source for 1 boards (1 thread, 24 jobs per thread)
>> (no errors to report)
>
> In order to build (rather than summarise results) take off the -se.

$ ./tools/buildman/buildman crownbay
boards.cfg is up to date. Nothing to do.
Building current source for 1 boards (1 thread, 24 jobs per thread)
    0    0    1 /1      crownbay

Seems nothing wrong?

>> My ~/.buildman is as follows:
>>
>> $ cat ~/.buildman
>> [toolchain]
>> root: /
>>
>> [toolchain-alias]
>> x86: i386
>>
>> [make-flags]
>>
>> I did a u-boot.rom build for crownbay from the u-boot root directory
>> and it builds fine.
>>
>> Based on the error message you gave, it looks like buildman is trying
>> to cd into the 'arch/x86/cpu/queensbay/' directory and build it from
>> there? What exact command build is using? The error message is related
>> to tnc_car.S line#126
>>
>> 125 ucode_start:
>> 126         .include "arch/x86/cpu/queensbay/M0220661105.inc"
>> 127 ucode_size = ( . - ucode_start)
>>
>> So if the build is started from 'arch/x86/cpu/queensbay directory',
>> the build will fail. But if started from u-boot root directory, there
>> will be no problem.
>
> Well buildman just uses the normal build system. If you need to
> include files then they will have to go either in the same directory
> or in the include/asm/arch directory.

Well, the .include search path is controlled by -I option passed to
the gnu assembler. The "arch/x86/cpu/queensbay/M0220661105.inc" path
can only be recognized if the U-Boot build is started from root. But
based on the error message you gave, looks like buildman did not start
the build from the root directory.

> Are you using a cross-compiler? Are you using an in-tree build? How do
> you build it>

Yes, a cross-compiler (64-bit) to produce the 32-bit U-Boot codes. The
build I used is:

in the U-Boot root
$ make crownbay_defconfig
$ make

> I'm going to apply what I can from this series but we need to figure
> this one out.
>
> Regards,
> Simon

Regards,