[U-Boot] sdcard with messed up partition table with FAT signature on header

Darwin Dingel darwin.dingel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 05:13:50 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have a sdcard with a messed up partition table with a FAT signature on
the header. This is readable under linux but not when I do a 'fatls' which
results in "Partition 1 not valid on device 0".

Before get_device_and_partition() was introduced this was still working
because reading the 'fatls' will call fat_register_device(). After it fails
to detect a valid partition due to the messed up partition table, it will
then search the header for a FAT signature as a fallback and will continue
to read it as a PBR. 'fatls' will be able to read it afterward.

Unfortunately, this will now fail on the latest code. I have a patch to do
the fallback check but under get_partition_info_extended(). However I am
unsure if there is really a reason for the absence this FAT signature
checking before failing fatls command.

Do anyone have ideas on a reason for this FAT signature checking not being
implemented in get_device_and_partition() (or
get_partition_info_extended())?

Thanks,

Darwin