[U-Boot] Building under Cygwin - "-ansi" flag?

Masahiro Yamada yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Fri Jun 6 12:43:05 CEST 2014

Hi.

> Let's suppose there is an application in tools directory that requires
> both "libfdt_env.h" (from uboot tree) and "errno.h" (from host
> environment). However, as both headers exist at both places, in the
> uboot tree and on the host environment, there is no way to solve this
> just by altering the include paths order. For any reshuffling both
> headers will be taken either from uboot or from host - which is
> undesired.

True.
What we should do is not to tweak the inclusion order.

I guess we should follow what happended in Linux Kernel world:

They split out the user-space API content in separated headers
and put them into  new   include/uapi/  and  arch/$(ARCH)/include/uapi/
directories.

So, the right direction we should go is:

- Define the exact tools-API  which should be exported to
  host program space. (For ex.  image structure)

- Put the tool-API headers into a new directory.
    (I have no idea about a good dir name.   include/host-api/ ? )
 This directory is added to include-path for  both U-Boot and host programs.

               include                                          include
 U-Boot  ---------->   include/host-api/    <--------   Host programs

U-boot  includes:  include/host-api/  +  include/   + arch/$ARCH/include/

Host programs include:  include/host-api/ + headers provided by environments

Comments are welcome !

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada