[U-Boot] [Patch v4 2/5] ARMv8: Adjust MMU setup

York Sun yorksun at freescale.com
Fri Jun 6 16:52:44 CEST 2014

On 06/06/2014 06:34 AM, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM, York Sun <yorksun at freescale.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Sure, if your tables are in SRAM then trying to do a load of dynamic
>>> allocation isn't going to work.
>
> Why do you need to turn on the MMU early using SRAM in the first
> place? Can't you delay that until after DDR setup?

Logically yes. But it runs too slow without cache on emulator.

>>> My fear is that while that sounds OK with a single user to do a quick
>>> havk and poke the tables directly, we'll end up with everyone doing
>>> that, and no-one will try to unify things. It is very diffifcult to
>>> unify such variation after the fact.
>>
>> That's a good reason. Let me start to code the API. It will take a while to
>> cover the complexity of the multilevel tables and sizes. It will be a separated
>> patch for later review. I don't want that to delay this patch set. I am hoping
>> to get this set in for 2014.07 release.
>
> If I was maintainer I would say no because few people come back later
> to clean-up their mess. If you want to get platform support in now,
> perhaps you should just add the base platform first and add mmu setup
> later. Surely you don't need the MMU to just boot to u-boot shell.

My plan is to get the first platform in, then I will maintain Freescale stuff.
So you can be sure I will continue to improve it. One reason to get these code
in early is to enable our partners and early adopters to use u-boot. After all,
this is the second ARMv8 platform. The first one vexpress_aemv8a doesn't even
support cache.

York