[U-Boot] Standalone application - expanding export functions

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Jun 14 06:58:52 CEST 2014

Dear Sudhakar,

In message <1402711264164-182331.post at n7.nabble.com> you wrote:

> Suppose, say I add more functions to export/_export.h files and call it from
> standalone application. But if I release only the u-boot binary and don't
> release the binary of the standalone application should the standalone
> application source need to be released under GPL?

If you do not distribute copies of the code, you do not have to
release the source code for it.  The requirements of the GPL for
providing the source code are only for the situation when distri- bute
the code.

Note however that you would have to be extremely careful - you would
have to make very prominet notice in the documentation and the source
code that the license exception for Standalone appliations does NOT
apply for your modified version of the U-Boot source code.  The big
problem is that someone could use your extended jump table as base
for his own legacy SA applications, while this would be incorrect.

May I ask what exactly you are trying to do that triggers these
questions?  What is the intellectual property in your AS app that
appears to be so critical that you cannot release the code under GPL?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
To get something done, a committee should consist  of  no  more  than
three men, two of them absent.