[U-Boot] U-boot hangs on imx6 pci driver

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Fri Jun 20 02:11:18 CEST 2014

On Thursday, June 05, 2014 at 12:13:39 PM, Tim Harvey wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM, "David Müller (ELSOFT AG)"
>
> <d.mueller at elsoft.ch> wrote:
> > Tim Harvey wrote:
> >> When enabling PCI support in u-boot my 3.14 kernel hangs somewhere
> >> during PCI init or enumeration (can't tell as uart is not up yet)
> >
> > Enabling "earlyprintk" support may help.
>
> David,
>
> This is definitely related to PCI_RST# as the delay you inserted is
> essentially after imx6_pcie_probe() gets the reset_gpio from OF and
> asserts it low. Moving the delay around I find that it must come
> before imx6_pcie_assert_core_reset(), specifically before
> IMOUX_GPR1:18 is set (phy power down request).
>
> Enabling earlyprintk to try to debug the 'hang' on my boards further I
> find that I hang in in imx6_pcie_link_up() during the
> readl(pp->dbi_base + PCIE_PHY_DEBUG_R1) which is called after setting
> IOMUXC_GPR12:1 to start LTSSM. If I add a udelay(55) (55us determined
> via trial and error) directly after setting IOMUXC_GPR12:1 I get
> passed 'this' hang however during pci_scan_bridge() I find that
> PCI_PRIMARY_BUS config dword comes back as 0x00000000 instead of
> 0x00010100. This appears to cause the causes the pci code to think the
> RC is a bridge, tries to scan behind it, and hangs (because its not a
> bridge and those transactions are not valid).
>
> All of this seems to indicate to me that the PLX bridge I have on my
> boards requires a longer minimum time to be held in reset 'before' the
> PCIe PHY is powered down 'if' it has already been enumerated (or
> something to that nature) as I only see this if I enable PCI in uboot.
> Why I also need the extra udelay after enabling LTSSM in this scenario
> I can't say.
>
> This may correlate with your findings as I believe you say you have an
> i210 attached to the IMX6 RC and have found an errata indicating the
> i210 needs a longer time in reset. Do you find that this is the case
> even if you disable PCI in uboot? My first thought when I read about
> that i210 errata you pointed out was that it wasn't an issue because
> we do hold reset low for 100ms in the kernel but if the issue has
> something to do with holding it in reset with the PHY being powered
> down then perhaps this explains things.
>
> Merek,
>
> you've done much more work on IMX6 link than I... any of this make
> sense to you? I believe you have never encountered this 100%
> repeatable issue on your board(s) that David and I do encounter, but
> you have encountered a 1% PCIe link failure rate (which I'm inclined
> to say is something completely different?).

Sorry for the later reply. Most certainly, I observe a failure rate of 1-out-
of-200 or so. I also use i210 though, so it might be related somehow. Can you
tell me which i210 errata are you talking about here please?

I am currently discussing this with FSL, but it didn't yield any results yet.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut