[U-Boot] SPL with NAND: programming addresses

Danny Gale Daniel.Gale at coloradoengineeringinc.com
Thu Jun 26 10:25:59 CEST 2014

Hello everybody,

We're trying to boot a custom board loosely based on the T4240QDS. We
have the T4240 coming up and getting its RCW / PBL from a SPI EEPROM,
and it reads 8 KB of program from NAND flash into SRAM, then dies. I
think we just don't have things in the right places. I'm a little
confused and have a couple of questions on addresses and what goes where:

1. The SPL image itself should go at address 0 in the NAND flash,
correct? That's where our PowerPC will start to look for it.

2. The u-boot.bin image should be programmed to
CONFIG_SYS_NAND_U_BOOT_OFFS in the NAND flash, right? (pretty sure this
is true -- just sanity-checking myself here)

3. How does CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE relate to CONFIG_SYS_NAND_U_BOOT_DST
and CONFIG_SYS_NAND_U_BOOT_START? Why aren't all three of these the same?

4.  What are RESET_VECTOR_OFFSET and BOOT_PAGE_OFFSET?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to booting soon :)

Danny Gale