[U-Boot] A proposal/hack for an efficient USB DFU for linux based boards

Krishna Pattabiraman codelectron at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:39:45 CET 2014

Hi All,

I was working with dfu-utill couple of years ago as part of my thesis. My
task was to provide a firmware upgrade mechanism using USB. I had an open
moko so I thought of implementing a solution based on it. The board I used
is SAM9G45 http://www.atmel.com/devices/sam9g45.aspx.

My observation in the current implementation was that, the partitions are
getting listed as DFU capable devices with fixed address and  to change
their size or address, you need to change the u-boot-env. Considering the
requirement I tweaked the protocol and some code to make a fast and
flexible upgrade.

I have explained about it here
http://codelectron.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/flexible-firmware-upgrade/
Header source code here https://github.com/codelectron/DFU-Tweak/

Let me know your comments and feedback about this idea?.

Thanks,
Krishna