[U-Boot] OMAP3 ECC: Writing u-boot to NAND within u-boot

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 01:27:01 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm working with an OMAP3503 processor with a NAND chip attached via
the GPMC interface.  The NAND chip required at least 4-bit ECC outside
of the first block.  Currently, I write the MLO and u-boot.img files
from u-boot using 1-bit hardware ECC (i.e. nandecc hw) to NAND and
boot the board.  It seems like this ECC is not really appropriate for
writing u-boot though---is this correct?

If I understand correctly, I have three options:
1. Write u-boot to NAND from linux using BCH-8 which SPL can now understand
2. Write u-boot to NAND using the on-die ECC for my NAND chip
3. Write u-boot to NAND from u-boot using BCH8 (nandecc hw
bch8)....this is my preference but when I try, I just see errors when
trying to load u-boot from nand.

Forgive my stupidity if this has been asked and answered a hundred
times---I've been getting thoroughly confused with the changes to the
ECC on OMAP3 in u-boot.

--Ash