[U-Boot] unable to build tools with 2014.04-rc2 for x86

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Mar 13 04:16:16 CET 2014

Hi,

to date I have been doing a make tools on x86 builds without doing any
configuration to build mkimage for use on x86 hosts. with 2014.04-rc2
the build fails with

make tools
Makefile:485: *** "System not configured - see README".  Stop.

As there is no x86 configs I can not select one, and if I choose
something random,  such as sheevaplug build fails with

make  CROSS_COMPILE=""  tools
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
cc1: error: bad value (armv5te) for -march= switch
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk
cc1: error: bad value (armv5te) for -march= switch
  CHK     include/config/uboot.release
  UPD     include/config/uboot.release
  CHK     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  CC      lib/asm-offsets.s
lib/asm-offsets.c:1:0: error: bad value (armv5te) for -march= switch
 /*
 ^
make[1]: *** [lib/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

if i put a blank include/config.mk to make the System not configured
check happy, the build fails with

make tools
  CHK     include/config/uboot.release
  CHK     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  Could not find linker script.
make: *** [prepare1] Error 1

So the question is how am I supposed to build mkimage for x86?

Dennis