[U-Boot] unable to build tools with 2014.04-rc2 for x86

Masahiro Yamada yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Thu Mar 13 06:08:26 CET 2014

Hello Dennis,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:22:07 -0500
Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:47:16 +0900
> Masahiro Yamada <yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello Dennis,
> >

> > > So the question is how am I supposed to build mkimage for x86?
> >

> > I think
> >   make  CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linxu-gnu-  sheevaplug_config   tools
> > will work for you.
> >

> > tools/  is built for host (x86) even if the target board is
> > configured for ARM.
>
> having to add a build dependency on a cross compiler seems really wrong.
>
> Seems to me we should fix things so tools are buildable without such
> requirements.

Agree.
It is weird that tools depend on board configuration.

I think sources under tools/ should not depend on any CONFIG macros.

But, in fact, they do.
tools/envcrc.c  and  tools/env/fw_env.h  even include <config.h>.

It is true we could "make tools" prior to Kbuild.
But tools/mkimage created in that way is different from
the one with board configuration.

Cross  tools is used to extract CONFIG macros
from include/configs/<board>h.
If we could switch to Kconfig, such a gimmick would be deleted.

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada