[U-Boot] Relocation

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Fri Mar 14 15:47:35 CET 2014

Hi mahsmak,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 06:38:34 -0700 (PDT), mahsmak
<kshamim.pk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please explain how relocation address is calculated in uboot ?

U-Boot tries to relocate itself as high in RAM as possible so that the
lower area is available to e.g. the Linux kernel it will chainload.

Therefore, the usual process is that U-Boot first reserves whatever
amount of memory it needs at end of RAM, then relocates itself just
below that.

> Also, I want to know whether relocation will happen or not when uboot is
> running from RAM already? If yes, then can it be disabled ?

Relocation will always happen, and there is no provision for avoiding
it.

> Thank you,

Amicalement,
--