[U-Boot] U-Boot doesn't silent the output

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat Mar 15 05:28:24 CET 2014

Hi Frank,

On 4 March 2014 01:43, Frank Ihle <frank.ihle at hs-offenburg.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I searched the Internet but the help I found didn't work. I hope someone here may know how to fix it, here's the situation:
>
> I have this ARM9 SAM9G25 which is accessed by its ttyS0. I
>  want to disable all of the output, that was made during the U-Boot (v. 2010.06)
> boot, to decrease the CPU's load. Therefore there is the
>

>   setenv silent 1
>

> parameter, which i put into the BOOTCMD string like:
>

>   #define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND   " setenv silent 1;" \
>
> "bootm "

The check is done in console_init_f(), the 'f' meaning before
relocation, and thus before the environment is loaded and much before
the boot command is run. You need to put "silent=1" into your built-in
environment in the board config file.

See also serial_s5p.c which uses the device tree to make the console
silent based on a device tree setting (i.e. not compiled into U-Boot).
However, I doubt your board is using device tree.

> and there is (as mentioned in the Readme.silent http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=doc/README.silent;hb=v2013.10 ) the
> #define CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE
> #define CONFIG_SYS_DEVICE_NULLDEV
> #define CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE_UPDATE_ON_SET

Maybe you need CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE_UPDATE_ON_RELOC?

> command, neither one is working (the lines printed out are still the same and the boot time didn't change). Whereas the
>          setenv varify n
> is working, just to give an example.
>
> Does somebody see the error ?
>
> BTW (I'm not sure if this is related to this) in the referenced link there is the information, that u-boot sets the kernel command line to "console=" so that in the end there will be no output for the kernel too, but that didn't happen and it doesn't even happen if i force to boot Linux with "console=" in the default Linux command line string

Do you see that in the Linux command line on boot?

If you have silent_linux=yes in U-Boot, then it will make Linux
silent. See fixup_silent_linux() for the full details.

Regards,
Simon