[U-Boot] Antw: Re: U-Boot doesn't silent the output

Frank Ihle frank.ihle at hs-offenburg.de
Tue Mar 18 09:50:24 CET 2014

>CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND is not the build-in environment. See
>CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS.

Now that I'll have in the board header file the lines

#define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS  \
"silent=1\0"

and it works :) I really feel happy about this, thanks for your help! The output is disabled during U-Boot sequence, but returns when the kernel starts. I didn't expected that Linux is not influenced by this, but it's alright ATM.

Anyway I wonder why the "setenv verify n" worked with the  BOOTCOMMAND but the "silent" didn't. Should I shift all the commands from CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND to CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS to be sure all the commands are really executed?

>>> Do you see that in the Linux command line on boot?
>>
>> Yes the kernel command line is shown during boot, including the "console=" or "console=null". Maybe the kernel version 2.6.39 is just too old >for that feature.

> I doubt it - that feature has been there forever.

I really don't know the reason why Linux keeps talking during boot when using "console=", whereas "quiet" and changing the loglevel is working. I already asked in some forums about this, but it was as strange to them as it is to me - strange because it's a vanilla kernel I'm using, so the only thing that came to my mind is that this function is just not included into  v. 2.6.3.9.

Thanks again for your help!

Kind Regards

Frank