[U-Boot] Antw: Re: U-Boot doesn't silent the output

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 18 10:37:25 CET 2014

Dear Frank,

In message <53281FB1020000460004BF46 at gwia2.rz.hs-offenburg.de> you wrote:

> >Second, CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND defines exactly one environment variable,
> >"bootcmd".  As documented, the values of this variable is apssed to
> >the Linux kernel as boot argument - and this is the only function of
> >this variable.  You can add random things to it, even U-Boot commands,
> >but this will never have any effect on the operation of U-Boot - it
> >might only consfuse the Linux kernel.
>
> Well the variables I pass to the kernel command line are stored not in the CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND, but in the CONFIG_BOOTARGS. When checking the kernel command line during boot, it is the same like the one defined in the BOOTARGS.

oops. Sorry, of course you are right - I confused this.  Guess I need
more tea...

> In that mentioned header file, with what I started U-Boot, there are commands in the CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND like "nand write, tftp, setenv ipaddr" etc. - since those are the commands from the U-Boot menu on target, I thought enqueuing the BOOTCOMMAND with "
> silent", or "verify" would work too, though "verify" worked this way (a recognizable boot time was decreased).

Again - CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND affects only the default environment, it
does not change the setting of the "bootcmd" variable in your normal
environment.

> >Also, are you sure early debug output is disabled in your kernel
> >configuration?  Otherwise this will get printed even before the Linux
> >kernel's console driver has been started.
>
> If you mean the "early printk" then yes, otherwise I need more information what is meant by early debug output.

Yes.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and
the determination that whether we win or lose, we  have  applied  the
best of ourselves to the task at hand.               - Vince Lombardi