[U-Boot] Antw: Re: U-Boot doesn't silent the output

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 18 12:30:27 CET 2014

Dear Andrew,

In message <CAPcvp5FNJo9y3mKhUdgar1jx0tfHkeXU06BbTg5NCCSQ3Wb_uQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> If I remember, fixup_silent_linux ensures that 'console=' is present
> in the kernel arguments (i.e. it will replace console=/dev/ttyS0 (or
> similar) with console=).
>
> I think preferred behavior for this may be to instead leave any
> 'console' arguments as they are and instead ensure that 'quiet' or
> 'loglevel=1' is present instead. There are two motivations for doing
> this - the first is that when using a lower loglevel you still get
> suppressed kernel output - but you also get any errors. Thus if
> something goes wrong you'll see why rather than wonder if U-Boot even
> started the kernel. The second is that I've seen a few times in the
> past where setting console to nothing (console=) results in strange
> behavior (it once increased boot time). After all we want a console we
> just don't want to use it as much. I can provide a patch for this if
> you think you may take it?

I have to admit that I don't know if this is a good idea.  I do know
that some users use this feature to make sure the console port is
completely free, and no characters ever are sent to it, for example
because they use it for application specific purposes.  Of course one
might ask if this is a good idea (IMO a separate console port is a
very useful feature), but you know how some companies design their
hardware...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
>  Is there a way to determine Yesterday's date using Unix utilities?
         echo "what is yesterday's date?" | /bin/mail root
         -- Randal L. Schwartz in <ukbuh2y982.fsf at julie.teleport.com>