[U-Boot] MMC and buffer alignment question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 19 20:17:39 CET 2014

Dear Eric Nelson,

In message <5329DF5A.7090604 at boundarydevices.com> you wrote:

> IMHO, this seems like overkill. Should we also prevent over-writing
> the stack or heap?

No.  But we should not add any specific alignment requirements to
commands that transfer data to memory.  If some driver has such needs
internally, then it should be handled there, but in a way that is
transparent to the user.

> Note that "sata read/write" and "usb read/write" have the same issues.

So these should be fixed, too.  Patches welcome :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn