[U-Boot] [RFC] ARM: U-boot and 2 GiB of ram with get_ram_size only being long

Olliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Mon Mar 24 11:14:45 CET 2014

Hey all,

*ping*

On 10/21/2013 09:44 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Scott Wood,
>
> In message <1382138723.7979.928.camel at snotra.buserror.net> you wrote:
>>
>> And the one 64-bit environment that we're about to have in U-Boot
>> (armv8) has discontiguous memory, which is another case where
>> get_ram_size() won't work.
>
> get_ram_size() is supposed to be run per memory bank.  If you have
> discontiguous memory, then you probably have several memory banks that
> can be sized separately?
>
>> BTW, shouldn't get_ram_size restore the original data in the final
>> "return (maxsize)" case?  I know, patches welcome. :-)
>
> Yes, get_ram_size() is non-destructive (at least in the no-error
> case; otherwise things like PRAM would not work).
Is there anything else that needs to be cleaned up in the patch I
submitted back then (other then re-basing it I suppose).

With all the sunxi stuff slowly being cleaned up, this patch came to
mind again and I was just wondering if anything needs to be done to get
it merged. There was quite a big discussion about get_ram_size() in
general, but nobody ever said if the signed long -> unsigned long was a
good fix.

Olliver