[U-Boot] beagle-bone fdt booting problem

Belisko Marek marek.belisko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 07:10:37 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm playing with fdt booting on beaglebone board. I'm using latest
u-boot git HEAD (2c072c958bb544c72f0e848375803dbd6971f022) + I've
added to am335x_evm confing :
#ifndef CONFIG_SPL_BUILD
#define CONFIG_OF_CONTROL
#define CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE
#endif

I took beaglebone devicetree from kernel. Then I took patch [1] to
build image from u-boot and my compiled DT blob.

Booting this image always fails with:
No valid FDT found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use
u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d
<file.dtb>
** CONFIG_OF_CONTROL defined but no FDT - please see doc/README.fdt-control

I poke around this and find out that when CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE is used
then fdt_blob is set to address of .__end pointer. When evaluate image
with hexdump it seems that fdt blob (in my particular case and
configuration) is shifted by 312 bytes from .__end. When I point
gd->fdt_blob (hack in code) to that address it boots fine. Any ideas
what I'm doing wrong (I must do something wrong as it seems nobody
complains  :)).

[1] - http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-x86.git;a=commit;h=d4ab2022cdfe098e93819c58188ad36174160872

BR,

marek