[U-Boot] u-boot-socfpga repository

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Thu Sep 11 18:51:17 CEST 2014

On Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 06:14:55 PM, Dinh Nguyen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:46 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> > Dear Michal,
> >
> > In message <54112B64.5010104 at monstr.eu> you wrote:
> >> I am not sure if you need to have separate repo to work like this.
> >> I am keeping zynq patches in my microblaze repo and sending pull request
> >> to Albert
> >> (or Tom now) and there is no problem with that.
> >
> > Well, technically of course this works, but it is far from perfect.
> > It works only for those who actually know about this.  But anybody
> > looking at the U-Boot site for any zynq related stuff will have hard
> > times to find it.
>
> rocketboards.org is our portal. Linux and u-boot currently have repos
> there.

I'm OK with this.

> This will be our central place for uboot and Linux. PERIOD!

I am OK with this as well. But I want to use mainline U-Boot on my board,
which I cannot seem to find on the rocketboards website. I only see an
ancient 2013.01.01 and I don't see anyone feeding the rocketboards patches
into mainline either.

Charles and Pavel have been a great help so far in sending U-Boot patches
for SoCFPGA into mainline, but so far we lack coordination there. Thus, I
decided to take that up and collect all their effort so they're not lost.

That said, I'd be glad if someone from Altera would step up and work on the
mainline support for SoCFPGA properly, pick the patches and maintain the
repository.

> > I think it is much better to make this knowledge public information -
> > and one easy way to do this is to have a separate repository for it,
> > which is listed on the custodians page, so everybody looking for it
> > will find all relevant information.
> >
> >> In socfpga case I think there are guys from Altera who maintain it.
> >
> > Well, they maintain the stuff at rocketboards.org ; there are efforts
> > on the way to mainline stuff, but the process is not exactly
> > satisfactory.  I highly appreciate that Marek volunteers to put
> > efforts in this.
>
> Thanks Marek for your volunteer, but we would like to maintain our
> git repo at rocketboards.org.

I am not asking you to stop working on your repository, please do not
misunderstand my intention.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut