[U-Boot] u-boot-socfpga repository

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 12 21:45:54 CEST 2014

Dear Michal,

In message <541334D0.80109 at monstr.eu> you wrote:

> But creating separate repository for every SoC in u-boot seems to me
> just too much.

We're not talking about one repo for every SoC here.

> Definitely I also really appreciate that Marek volunteers to be responsible
> for socfpga. But that means that guys who are responsible for socfpga failed
> and they are not responding for patches which others are sending to mailing list for review.
> I am not closely following them but did this really happen?

I think the problem is that so far nobody feels responsible for
systematically mainlining the code.  There are some patches here and
there, but usually you cannot build a useful and working U-Boot image
from the existing mainline code.

> If they don't want to maintain their socfpga in mainline and Marek
> wants to do it I will definitely support Marek in this new possition
> to get things done properly but also I just want to make sure that
> this is really happen and isn't it just the part of misunderstanding
> how u-boot community is working.

Probably both.

> Having arm SOC sub maintainers is definitely good concept
> but I am just not sure that creating separate repository fully solve
> this.

You are right - the repository is just one necessary step.
A custodian who knows how the community works and who is willing to
collect patches and synchronize efforts is also needed - this is where
Marek volunteered for now.  If someone from Altera is willing to take
over, such a switch would be trivial to perform.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want  to
use it.