[U-Boot] u-boot-socfpga repository

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Sep 12 21:46:16 CEST 2014

Dear Dinh,

In message <54133B22.2090509 at opensource.altera.com> you wrote:

> > So I suggest we create u-boot-socfpga now, as this will be needed
> > in any case when any significant amount of patches is coming in for
> > mainline.
> >
> > For now, we assing Marek as custodian - he has volunteered, and he
> > already has a reputation in the community.  As soon as Vince starts
> > actively working here on the mailing list, we can switch this role
> > to him.
>
> NO..we'd like to maintain the u-boot-socfpga-next git repo at
> rocketboards.org. Altera(myself, Chin-Liang, and Vince) will actively
> maintain it from now on.

I'm sorry, but that's not the way how the U-Boot community works.

To get patches or new code into U-Boot mainline, these have to be
submitted to the U-Boot mailing list (among other purposes for
archival and that they get stored in the patchwork database).  Then a
peer review takes place, and the responsible custodian finally applies
these patches to the respective custodian repository.  Finally, he
sends a pull request to the next higher custodian - in case of SoCFPGA
that would be Albert as ARM custodian.

There is nothing wrong with you maintaining u-boot-socfpga-next at
rocketboards.org.  It's just that such code does not get into mainline
other than by the procedure described before.  So we need the
custodian repository in any way (unless Albert says he wants to take
stuff directly into the ARM repo - but from the amount of work that is
going on this seems unwise).  Vince may of course volunteer as
custodian for the new u-boot-socfpga repository, but that would be a
community decision, and like everybody else in that role he needs to
earn some reputation first - we haven't seen him at work so far.  In
the meantime, it appears to make sense that Marek fills in the gap.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.
                                    - Terry Pratchett, _Making_Money_