[U-Boot] u-boot-socfpga repository

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Sep 13 00:37:17 CEST 2014

Dear Dinh,

In message <5413667D.50001 at opensource.altera.com> you wrote:

> Wolfgang's advice is valuable and noted. However, it is in Altera's
> best interest that we have 1 central gathering point for all our
> opensource software support.

Full agreement here.  But I would like to point out that your point of
view appears to be biased: U-Boot mainline is a community project, and
the community is very much vendor-independent.  So the question we're
trying to solve here is not what is optimal for Altera, but what is
optimal for the community.

As is, current mainline U-Boot is not really working well on most
SoCFPGA systems.  Progress is dissatisfactory slow.  Marek volunteers
to help out now, and you promise to chime in very soon.  I see no
conflict here.  Let us create the u-boot-socfpga repository we need in
any case, and agree with Marek as custodian until Vince has gathered
enough reputation to relieve Marek.  I talked to him - he is not
clinging to that job, he just sees the need to get the current
problems solved now, not in some uncertain future.

Please try to understand that this is totally unrelated to what you do
at u-boot-socfpga-next - it does not influence your work there in
any way.  Ideally, your u-boot-socfpga-next and the mainline
u-boot-socfpga repositories would be just redundant copies.

On the other hand, setting up u-boot-socfpga now allows the community
to make some progress until you (rsp. Vince) start populating
u-boot-socfpga-next and gather experience working with the community.

So it is actually in both the community's and Altera's best interest
to get a mainline u-boot-socfpga set up without further delay.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Well, the way I see it, logic is only a way of being ignorant by num-
bers.                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_