[U-Boot] u-boot-socfpga repository

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Sep 13 00:51:49 CEST 2014

Dear Dinh,

In message <541373AD.4020902 at opensource.altera.com> you wrote:

> Then I vote for myself as the custodian for u-boot-socfpga. By the way,

May I ask what made you change your mind like that?  First you wrote
that Vince was assigned to to that, and now it's suddenly you?  As far
as I can see, you have not participated in any SoCPGA related code
reviews or discussions in 2014 at all, so what would be the
difference?

> what is the difference between a Maintainer and a custodian? I don't
> understand why if Chin-Liang and myself are listed as Maintainer(s) for
> SOCFPGA, we would have to rely on Marek to pull in our patches for SOCFPGA?

A maintainer is someone who developed some piece of code and feels
responsible for it - who is available as contact person for questions,
or who will be asked to fix any bugs in that code.

A Custodian is "one that guards and protects or maintains" [1], i. e.
he is responsible for maintaining the design principles of U-Boot and
the code quality even for code he did not work on himself, and for
patches submitted by others.  This is a job that carries a much higher
responsibility than just maintaining your own code.  He will interface
to the actual maintainers of the respective code, negotiatiate
solutions and decide in case of conflicts.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/custodian

> Yes, this is the repo will be the one that we will use. I have a couple
> of other things on my plate at the moment and will populate this repo
> shortly.

Thats great, as it means you will not lose any efforts when we start
with u-boot-socfpga now, as you then can start with synchronized
repositories right from the beginning.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"In the long run, every program becomes rococo, and then rubble."
- Alan Perlis