[U-Boot] u-boot-socfpga repository

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Sep 14 18:51:41 CEST 2014

Dear Dinh,

In message <5415BC00.6090407 at opensource.altera.com> you wrote:

> FWIW, I strongly oppose assigning an external person to be the custodian
> for socfpga. Marek is fantastic developer, and my only issue is that he
> is not an Altera employee. I contend that an in-house custodian for
> socfpga is the best choice. I know that my voice carries little weight
> here, but I would, at least, think I have Altera's best interest in mind
> here.

There are several other cases where the custodian for a SoC family is
not an employee of the SoC vendor - see for example Stefano Babic for
the Freescale i.MX family, ot Stefan Roese for the APM PowerPC, or
Andreas Bießmann for Atmel, or Marek for Marvell, etc. etc.

> To summarize, have we failed as maintainers of socfpga that you would
> need to assign somebody else to be the custodian for socfpga?

You have not failed in any way.  You simply have not participated in
the community work at all so far.  Nobody here on the list knows how
you work.

When we initially assign Marek as custodian, that does not mean that
you cannot drive the development - on contrary.  Marek will be
extremely helpful for each help he can get, like code reviews, test
reports etc. for any submitted patches.  Actually you can still do
_all_ the work, with him just being the responsible person until the
community has seen you at work.  I repeat, switching the
responsibility for a repository is just a trivial act - a one-line
edit to a file...

We all will be happy if Altera really starts working actively within
the U-Boot community.  But such work is like producing code: it is not
sufficient to write code and put it up somewhere, it needs to get
reviewed by the community before it gets accepted for mainline;
in the same way, the working style of a potential custodian needs
to be reviewed by the community before they accept him in that role.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Ernest asks Frank how long he has been working for the company.
        "Ever since they threatened to fire me."