[U-Boot] Including support for PowerPC-based Linkstations/Kuroboxes?

Rogério Brito rbrito at ime.usp.br
Sun Apr 5 13:35:42 CEST 2015

Hi.

I have a Kurobox HG, which is an embedded PowerPC NAS, and I am running a
very old binary of u-boot. This binary was precompiled and I took it from

    http://downloads.buffalo.nas-central.org/LSHG_PPC/Bootloader/Uboot/Precompiled/obsolete/u-boot-hg.flash.bin

(If I'm not mistaken---it's been quite some time).

This corresponds to a patched u-boot 1.1.4, which is almost 10 years old.
The source code with instructions is at:

    http://www.linuxnotincluded.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/linkstation/u-boot.html

In particular, the interesting part is the patch:

    http://www.linuxnotincluded.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/linkstation/downloads/u-boot-1.1.4-list-2.1.0.diff.gz

Now, my question: would this be accepted to be integrated into upstream
u-boot?

If so, what would be the necessary steps? I know little about low-level
programming, but I am willing to learn and, also, to test everything on my
own Kurobox (in fact, I have two: one which is a Kurobox HD and another that
is a Kurobox HG; they are mostly the same, except for the HG, which has a
gigabit ethernet).

One of my goals would be to add support to Debian for it to be installed on
such machines (I already run Debian on them, but the process was too manual
and I want to automate everything and put as much as possible of the work in
the distribution).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rogério Brito.

--