[U-Boot] SPI flash on Altera socfpga

Pavel Machek pavel at denx.de
Mon Apr 20 11:24:14 CEST 2015

Hi!

> > I see that u-boot 2015.04 has SPI flash configured in the
> > socfpga_cyclone5_socrates.dts. But as far as I know, socdk should have
> > same SPI flash, right? Should similar dts part be enabled there, too?
> >
> > I tried to get the support to work on custom board, but was not
> > successful so far. Does it work for you, or are still some parts
> > missing?
>
> Which SPI flash are you talking about -- QSPI one or EPCS/EPCQ one ?
>
> I think Stefan got the QSPI one working. EPCQ is a bit trickier.

Datasheet mentions QSPI_IO*/CLK/SS* pins, so I assume it is QSPI.

> On 20.04.2015 10:36, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >I see that u-boot 2015.04 has SPI flash configured in the
> >socfpga_cyclone5_socrates.dts. But as far as I know, socdk should have
> >same SPI flash, right? Should similar dts part be enabled there, too?
>
> SPI NOR flash is working for me on SoCrates and another similar custom
> SOCFPGA based board just fine.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

> >I tried to get the support to work on custom board, but was not
> >successful so far. Does it work for you, or are still some parts
> >missing?
>
> Not that I know of. What are the problems that you experience?

For tests, I've used config similar to socrates, even through the
board should be more similar to socdk:

U-Boot 2015.04-rc4-00103-gef7e76c-dirty (Apr 20 2015 - 10:24:33)

CPU:   Altera SoCFPGA Platform
       Watchdog enabled
       I2C:   ready
       DRAM:  256 MiB
       MMC:   SOCFPGA DWMMC: 0
       Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Model: EBV SOCrates
Net:   dwmac.ff702000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
=> sf probe
Invalid chip select 0:0 (err=-19)
SF: Failed to set up slave
Failed to initialize SPI flash at 0:0
=>

One thing that puzzles me:

./arch/arm/dts/socfpga_cyclone5_socrates.dts:	flash0: n25q00 at 0 {
./arch/arm/dts/socfpga_cyclone5_socrates.dts:		compatible = "n25q00";

..but I see no mention of that compatible string anywhere
else. 2013-altera u-boot used ./drivers/mtd/spi/stmicro.c to handle
it...

Best regards,
									Pavel