[U-Boot] fastboot boot base address behaviour

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Wed Apr 22 15:04:47 CEST 2015

Hi,

I've been trying to use fastboot (and especially the boot command) on
sunxi recently, and got it to work pretty fine (apart from PSCI, but
that's another story).

The only thing that worries me a bit is that by default, both the
fastboot tool and mkbootimg will generate an image with the kernel
address set to 0x10008000.

While it might work on some targets, it obviously doesn't on the
Allwinner SoCs that most of the time have the RAM mapped to 0x4000000,
which result in the kernel being relocated to some address that is not
in RAM, failing badly.

I would expect U-Boot to relocate the kernel to some reasonable
address, and not try to do something dumb by actually trusting
completely the boot image.

I guess one way to solve this would be to really treat 0x10008000 as
the default, and relocate the kernel to whatever value make sense on
the current platform (even though that needs to be defined).

That way, "fastboot boot zImage" would actually work out of the box,
without requiring to set the optional "-b" option to set the kernel
base address to some decent value.

The others implementation I could find seem to just ignore this field
in the image header, and always load it to the same address, which
might not really be what we're after here.

What do you think?

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons