[U-Boot] installing u-boot on a virtual x86 machine

Francesco Lucconi luccons at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:56:06 CEST 2015

> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Francesco Lucconi <luccons at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm Francesco Lucconi from Italy, and I'm involved into a x86 project
> where
> > my issue is to compile a u-boot (I'm currently using uboot-2015.01) and
> > install it into a VID (virtual image disk) of virtualbox.
> >

> > I've already tuned the MBR, registering two FAT16 partitions, one for
> > u-boot and the other one for future kernel uImage and firmware
> development.
> > In this moment I figured out that I've installed correctly the MBR cause
> > can see on the display strings I've applied on the MBR source code but it
> > seems that u-boot.bin code doesn't run correctly, the system hangs
> out....
> > Could you give me any tips I didn't notice before?
>
> Could you elaborate more on what BIOS is being used, and what MBR
> codes is that? Is it grub?

Regards,
> Bin

@Simon Glass: About u-boot I'm using coreboot_x86 config, and with
u-boot.srec I noticed that I received several prints of startup ( like this
"......................" ) but later the virtual machine hangs up.

@Bin Meng: I'm using BIOS embedded of Virtualbox platform and I've
customized the 512 bytes MBR data with several debug prints and with the
partitions table based on the features of my FAT16 partitions.

Regards,
Francesco