[U-Boot] fdtgrep exclude nodes

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Dec 1 14:31:18 CET 2015

On 01.12.2015 14:22, Michal Simek wrote:
> On 1.12.2015 11:46, Stefan Roese wrote:
>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> On 01.12.2015 11:21, Michal Simek wrote:
>>> I was checking spl/u-boot-spl.dtb and I see that you are removing
>>> interrupt-parent property but I think that also make sense to remove
>>> interrupt property as well because it is unused and parent is also
>>> removed.
>>> Just extend OF_SPL_REMOVE_PROPS by "interrupts" to save some memory.
>>
>> I'm fine with this.
>>
>>> Another thing I was checking was that we are missing rules for removing
>>> nodes with status = "disabled" property. I think that will be good to
>>> add it. The reason is that I would move all that u-boot,dm-pre-reloc to
>>> dtsi at least for now.
>>
>> Hmmm. I prefer to add this "u-boot,dm-pre-reloc" to the board dts
>> file instead of using the dtsi files. At least for the real devices,
>> like UART etc. As they vary between the different boards.
>
> How do you handle if you have 2 uarts which one is primary one?
> That only one has dm-pre-reloc? Or are you using aliases?

I only mark the devices absolutely necessary in SPL for booting
with dm-pre-reloc. And that only one UART, one SPI NOR etc.
And yes, I'm also using aliases.

>> Perhaps its possible to enable those busses (simple-bus) needed
>> to traverse to the requested device automatically via fdtgrep?
>> That would make this much easier and less error-prone. And would
>> result in less "u-boot,dm-pre-reloc" occurances in the dts / dtsi
>> files.
>
> I still think that instead of putting this property to every node having
> one property with list of devices in chosen node is better way.

Yes, that would also be a good solution. Sprinkling these pre-reloc
properties all over the files and nodes / busses is definitely
not perfect.

Thanks,
Stefan