[U-Boot] fdtgrep exclude nodes

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Tue Dec 1 14:43:13 CET 2015

On 1.12.2015 14:31, Stefan Roese wrote:
> On 01.12.2015 14:22, Michal Simek wrote:
>> On 1.12.2015 11:46, Stefan Roese wrote:
>>> Hi Michal,

>>> I'm fine with this.

>>> Hmmm. I prefer to add this "u-boot,dm-pre-reloc" to the board dts
>>> file instead of using the dtsi files. At least for the real devices,
>>> like UART etc. As they vary between the different boards.
>>
>> How do you handle if you have 2 uarts which one is primary one?
>> That only one has dm-pre-reloc? Or are you using aliases?
>
> I only mark the devices absolutely necessary in SPL for booting
> with dm-pre-reloc. And that only one UART, one SPI NOR etc.
> And yes, I'm also using aliases.

TBH I tend to add dm-pre-reloc to DTSI for all IPs which we can use in
SPL. It means by default all devices which can be used for booting will
be there. In combination of removing all IPs which have
status="disabled" I think I am getting pretty accurate picture of all
devices which SPL needs.
There could be small penalty for dt size, SPL size and maybe somewhere
else but I think it will pretty much solve all problems regarding
missing dm-pre-reloc somewhere.
If someone wants to have own production board, they can remove these
dm-pre-reloc properties to shorten time and having smaller footprint.

>>> Perhaps its possible to enable those busses (simple-bus) needed
>>> to traverse to the requested device automatically via fdtgrep?
>>> That would make this much easier and less error-prone. And would
>>> result in less "u-boot,dm-pre-reloc" occurances in the dts / dtsi
>>> files.
>>
>> I still think that instead of putting this property to every node having
>> one property with list of devices in chosen node is better way.
>
> Yes, that would also be a good solution. Sprinkling these pre-reloc
> properties all over the files and nodes / busses is definitely
> not perfect.

ok.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854