[U-Boot] u-boot retries with fallback to other images

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 7 18:38:25 CET 2015

Dear Brendan,

In message <5665634E.8050004 at etrix.com.au> you wrote:

> > Note that the key problem with such a simplistic approach is that it
> > will not help you in case an image looks OK, but hangs during boot -
> > in that case, you need a watchdow and support for the bootcount
> > feature.
> Yes, the watchdog and bootcount feature is the advanced stuff I'm
> looking for.
> I would think this has been implemented numerous times, and I didn't
> want to reinvent the wheel if there was some commonly used
> infrastructure to support this.

Indeed both watchdog support and bootcounter are standard features
that are in active use by a number of boards.

> My use case is not that uncommon -- lots of embedded devices installed
> in remote locations that are not easily accessible, but require remote
> monitor and software updates.

Indeed -  a pretty common requirement.

> Is there anything that is "standard" in u-boot to support this?
> Or any work that is published that has attempted this?

It's all in mainline...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Committee, n.:  A group of men who individually can do nothing but as
a group decide that nothing can be done.                 - Fred Allen